Donations still being accepted!
(This video was taken March 9, 2017, after just the fall season of soccer and football.)
When this project started, the Stadium field and track at Shrewsbury High School were original to the school. They had not been replaced since the school opened almost 15 years ago. Although it had been maintained to the greatest extent that our town budget and staffing levels allowed, the grass field was in poor overall condition by mid-October every year.
A study by Gale Associates in June 2015 stated:
• The turf is in fair to poor condition; major depressions run along both sidelines
• Bald spots limit traction and drainage issues erode the surface
• The latex track surfacing is excessively worn and cracked and is beyond repair
• Running lanes and take-off boards are worn; excessive plant growth has resulted in detachment of latex track surfacing.
To protect the fragile surface, field access was severely limited:
• The high school Fall Sports game schedule had limited home games
• No Spring sports were played on the Stadium Field
• No Physical Education classes could use the Stadium Field
• Youth sports teams were unable to use the Stadium Field
• District Track Meets were no longer held due to the condition of the tract
The condition of the Stadium Field and track diminished the playing experience of our athletes and significantly limited usage.
THANK YOU, SHREWSBURY!!
WE DID IT!